Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Best Math Books for Middle School Girls!

With a second daughter on her way into middle school level math, I pulled out these excellent books by Danica McKellar (Yes, if you're around my age, I bet you remember her!)

The Wonder Years!
However, this young woman did grow up and proceeded to become an expert in math education with a passion for inspiring girls to excel in math. 


"Math Doesn't Suck" (Click here for Amazon Link)  and
"Kiss My Math" (Click here for Amazon Link) are filled with humor, practical applications for math and clear explanations of all the easily muddled concepts in math and pre-algebra. 
Targeted for tween "girly girls," a lot of the content was not super appealing to my oldest daughter, but the teaching was clear and helped her a lot.  My very different youngest daughter lit up like a Christmas tree at the shiny "teen magazine" style covers and began to devour the books immediately with unbridled enthusiasm! 
On Amazon.com there are some new books by Ms. McKellar that cover algebra and geometry -- too late for my older daughter but I'm looking forward to getting these for Erin when she is finished with the first two!  

No comments:

Post a Comment