Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Year's Resolution


It is difficult to begin this.

There is tremendous pressure to begin a project like this with something profound or thought provoking, or at least with a hook that will encourage the reader to continue.

I am a mom of three trying to navigate the dangerous waters of education in the home. It is terrifying, electrifying, frustrating and exciting. It is a constant roller coaster of successes and defeats, dramas and breakthroughs, despair and elation. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the world.

We work in connection with a charter school, though it is an extremely flexible one and I am blessed with the opportunity to create my own curriculum that suits me and my children. Before the winter break, the teacher there that we work with said "you need to write a book about homeschooling."

Wow. I took it as a great complement, and to some degree, took it seriously. I consider myself a writer, and I have a small stack of novels already that need to be sent out to collect rejection slips. But those have... well, a plot. Characters. A reason to turn the page. How to even start a book on homeschooling?

So I made a very specific and detailed New-Year's goal. "Start thinking about outlining a book about homeschooling."

And to make things worse, an old and respected friend threatened to post this (along with a few other resolutions) on his google docs so he could help nag me over it. Really?

So this is my "beginning to think about it." A concrete way and place to collect thoughts and maybe start a few ideas rolling and begin a few conversations.

Coming next... why we began to homeschool... why we still do...

No comments:

Post a Comment